Old September 12th 04, 07:29 PM
Frank Stutzman

kage wrote:
I have flown the demonstrator that was set up at Madras. A couple of
corporate operators were going to get together and buy one for Sun Valley.

There was also a demonstrator set up at The Dalles airport (DLS) for a
while. The company working on this is Advanced Navigation Positioning
Systems (www.anpc.com) of Hood River, OR. According to their web site,
they have 4 sites where it is installed and a dozen or so planned. I'm
not sure what installed means as the DLS one is considered "installed",
but it certainly not an approved approach. Ditto for Pullman, WA.

I flew the approach DLS approach under VFR. Seemed to work ok. I'm not
sure what special training would be required. You have to talk to a
controller on the ground and get a transponder code. After that, tune
your radio to the right frequency and follow the needles. The Dalles
approach was an normal dme arc that put you onto the TLS straight-in
approach course. A curving TLS approach could be interesting.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"