Old July 28th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Wondering What Light Sport Can Do For You?

I think that you are agreeing with me on the basic point, I
never said that landings with the gear in the wrong position
are safe. I also not that high time commercial and ATP and
even CFI land gear up on runways, the USAF landed a C130 on
the water runway at Patterson, LA many years ago. It was
night and the crew saw the runway lights and landed. The
runway they selected was water with green edge lights and
white threshold lights. Brings to mind that 3,000 foot wide
runway only 150 feet long.

I'm just not look for an argument.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
message ...
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| I think you completely misread my posts and the
intention.

| Landing gear down is important on land and gear up on
water
| is even more important.
|
| So you are agreeing with my point.
|
| [...]
| It seems that even a sport pilot with just a few hours
could
| be taught to raise and lower the gear.
|
| You'd think a full-fledged Private certificate holder
could be taught the
| same. And yet, landings with the gear in the wrong
position continue to
| happen.
|
| And that's my point. The Sport Pilot rules are
specifically designed to try
| to remove some of the more common opportunities for error
that the general
| pilot population runs into. It seems plausible that the
FAA was trying to
| address one of those common opportunities by restricting
the type of landing
| gear an LSA airplane is allowed to have.
|
| I think as much as
| safety, the FAA position on LSA is based on retractable
| landplanes exceeding the speed limit, something no
| floatplane will do.
|
| I doubt that. The airspeed limit can be exceeded even
with fixed-gear
| designs, and it's simple enough to flight test any design
to find whether it
| exceeds the LSA speed limit or not. There should be no
reason to add