Old September 4th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_1_]

Default Libelle thermalling techniques

Adam:

In my experience, the Libelle 201 thermals like any other sailplane,
except it has light wing loading and climbs like a homesick angel in
light lift. The secret to thermalling that is often overlooked in
instruction is speed control. If you're speeding up and slowing down
you don't know where the lift is -- you just keep making irregular
ovals in the sky. Watch the horizon and keep the it a constant level
on the canopy. Go for it. Fred

AdamLibelle wrote:
Hi,

I have recently started flying a Libelle H201b and I don't think I am
quite making the most out of it's thermalling ability. Can anyone give
me any idea of the best speeds to fly in the thermal and any other
useful info.

Adam