Old November 2nd 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

Default US SSA/SRA Contest Rules Poll

On the poll I was confused by the explanation of question 8[?]
regarding using the last exit position of the start cylinder as the
scored start point rather than the point closest to the first
turnpoint.

I understand the concept of the proposed rule change. The explanation
seemed poorly written and confusing to me.

The description said something about exiting out the back, then flying
through the gaggles in the start cylinder. I don't understand this
because if you did this then by definition you pass through the start
cylinder again and then have a restart on the 2nd exit right?
[start=last exit of start cylinder]

Why did we not have a choice to change the scored exit point to
anywhere on the front 180° of the start cylinder? That seems like the
best of both concepts with the fewest problems.

Chris

The intent of the poll question is just to see if people like the
principle of being scored from the exit point vs. being scored for
distance from the center minus radius. If the principle is accepted,
you can trust the RC to work through the exact details with a close
eye on traffic, fairness, operational, and other issues.

Clearly, we want to keep "on course" and "prestart" traffic separate
as much as possible. The "last exit" is one easy way to make sure that
people don't start then blaze through the cylinder. Restricting it to
the front 180 does even more, if anyone would ever be nuts enough to
exit out the back of the cylinder and then go all the way around it so
as not to go back in it. Other limits may be imposed as well.

The big issue here is how you feel about the flexibility of starting
anywhere without distance cost, vs. the possibility that the upwind
edge is too attractive in a strong wind. Let us know how you feel
about that.

John Cochrane