Old July 28th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Filing IFR flight Plan in VMC

On Jul 28, 11:56*am, "Cyberfly via AviationKB.com" u45015@uwe wrote:
I have a question for the group. Im working on my IFR ticket, and will be
finished in about another 2-3 months, depending on how much I fly (Im renting.
so at $165/hr with instructor,, the $$$$ flow is very high right now) . I
was told by one of the "old guys" at the airport that if I wanted to file an
IFR flight plan in VMC and remain totally VFR, that I could do so by myself
without an instructor with me (and without my IFR ticket). The premise is
that it is not illegal to file an IFR plan and fly it VMC while keeping VFR
the entire time.

This is what you get from free "old guy" advice. He is totally wrong.
It is illegal for you to accept an IFR clearance without being IFR
rated and current.

-Robert, CFII