Old June 30th 04, 05:26 PM
tango4

Default Alternative loggers and IGC rule changes

There is another thread on RAS proposing a change to the "once only" rule.

Other threads have discussed the use of COTS loggers.

I'd like to see a subdivision of loggers available that do not support
barometric pressure sensors. This could be implemented quite simply by
having a clause that states the policy for verifying flights not requiring
precise barometric pressure traces.

Something along the lines of:

For height gain badges and records a logger supporting full barometric
recording is required.

For distance flights the 1000m height loss rule may need modification
depending on the logger type used.

Why bother with this?
1 - It is my experience that the barometric pressure sensor section of a
logger contributes at least 30% of the overall manufacturing cost of these
units so doing away with that section should lead to an immediate drop in
cost of 30% of such loggers.
2 - It gives current logger manufacturers a means to stay in the game when
the switch is finally made to COTS acceptance.

Any thoughts on this in RAS land

Ian