Old December 19th 05, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default AOPA flight planner chuckle

vincent p. norris wrote:

I just returned from my first cross-county (to Manteo NC for the
Wright Brothers' anniversary) in a Cessna 172, after flying Cherokees
and Warriors since 1975. It is certainly a fine airplane, probably
more stable than a Piper, but I had trouble (with my arthritis)
bending my knees enough to get my feet through the door, even with the
seat all the way back.

That's interesting, I find the opposite to be true for me, I much
prefer stepping up into the 172 like a natural stair climbing motion,
rather than clambering over the wing, lowering myself into the cockpit,
and sliding over to the left side. It's especially awkward to do while
the baggage door is strapped open.

Also my dad has arthritis and in the Warrior I can't help him get in,
because I have to get into the plane first. So with no one to help him
in or out he would basically hang off the door of the Warrior to
support himself, which couldn't have been good for it.

I do miss being able to put my flight bag onto the wing while I
preflight, and being able to easily open the cowl for preflight checks.
And I'm still working on remembering to turn to face final before
stopping for my runup, so I can check final before taking the runway
without the wing blocking the view.

Both planes have their good points and bad points. I'm happy flying
either one. For me the biggest good point of the 172s is that they are
significantly newer and better equipped than the old Warriors were (yes
I know that difference is not intrinsic to the model types, except
there are alot fewer new Warriors than 172's out there