Old July 10th 03, 03:03 PM
Barnyard BOb --

"C J Campbell" wrote:

There are better books about flying. "Stick and Rudder" is valuable for its
historical insights into the development of modern aircraft, but little
else.

I guess that's why it's still in print. And so often referred to.

And yes I do know the maths and science behind flight. On first
reading parts of the book I thought maybe some things were wrong or
odd but reading it properly I realised he had things right even if the
language was a little old fashioned.

Mike Borgelt

Right on, Mike.
A measure of proper perspective aids one in appreciating
this book and many other things aviation.....
like the sometimes maligned Ercoupe. ;o)

Here on RAH, it seems there is a movement afoot to
discredit the very foundations of aviation's past while
embracing anything that moves, as long as it's not
approved for use by stodgy old certified aircraft or
those that worship at the 'altar of longevity'.

Revolution, not evolution appears to be the
mindset of many wannabees that I note here
jumping on that sort of bandwagon. Fortunately,
mostly all they do is talk. Those that go past
that point and have not survived have left me
and others more cautious behind to address
folly as we see it.

Barnyard BOb --

Barnyard BOb - 50 years of flight.