Old December 30th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

Default ASK-21 - is a tail dolly necessary?

Hi Dave---

Our club, Mid Georgia Soaring, has 2 K21's , with tail dollies.

If towing out to the launch line is on grass, the tailwheel can slide
sideways without extra wear. If on pavement, it is much easier on the
tailwheel tire if you use a tail dolly. It is certainly easier on the
structure. The tailwheel rests on the ground when the cockpit is not
occupied. If ground transporting, you can move the glider easily with a
driver, wingman and a dolly. Otherwise, you need to stop and maneuver the
fuse to make a turn, or drag the tailwheel sideways.

We have dollies and like them.

--
Hartley Falbaum
Georgia, USA , "KF"

"Dave Springford" wrote in message
My club is buying a K-21 for student training and I am wondering if a
tail dolly is necessary for ground handling?

We plan to get the tail wheel option - not the tail skid.

Does the K21 balance like the Twin Astir so it is easy to turn on the
ground when towing it back to the launch point?

When empty, does it sit on the main and tail wheel, or main and nose
wheel.

Anyone with experience operating a K-21 please advise

thanks,

Dave Springford