Old July 15th 03, 01:42 PM
Rich Hare

No idea, Mike, but I'll anxiously await your follow-up. I see marks on
the tips of the teeth, which seem strange to me.

I had a very similar experience happen to me this spring; less than 100
hours after a mag overhaul. IA said he can't recall ever having seen
stripped teeth on a mag gear before. Mine had six teeth missing and the
mag was completely dead (except for one cylinder, grin!) So surprised
me at mag check time that I did the "damn fool" thing of turning it back
to "both" and got a good BANG out of the muffler.

Rich

MikeremlaP wrote:

I go to pull magneto again, and will stop the story here. Something had
bothered me each time I took the serviced magneto off the engine. There's one
more clue that crystallized what it was that was bothering me all that time.
You can see it in the photo.

If no one figures out this mystery, I'll post the last clue and report the real
cause of the missing teeth next week.

Mike Palmer
Excellence in Ergonomics