Old July 28th 03, 08:58 AM
Bert Willing

It's been the Akaflieg Munich, and the glider was/is the Mü 28 (single
seater aerobatics).

Bert

"Mike Borgelt" a écrit dans le message de
On 25 Jul 2003 10:01:38 -0700, (Bob Kuykendall)
wrote:

Robert raises some good points about interpolating between the
different polars, and it points towards a question that I've been
wondering for a while:

Why have none of the established manufacturers come out with an
auto-flap system that uses a computer to assess several parameters
(speed, angle of attack, G loading, air density, etc), and an actuator
to adjust the flaps to an appropriate setting?

I suspect that the answer might be, because it really doesn't matter
all that much. Look at the difference between the LS6 and the LS8 -
you can barely tell them apart until you get to about 85 knots.

However, that autoflap arrangement has a lot of whiz-bang appeal, and
I'd like to see someone give it a try.

Thanks, and best regards

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com

Bob,
You don't need a computer. About 20 years ago the Akaflieg
Braunschweig had an auto flap sustem in an LS3. Essentially a weight
on an arm - more g more flapdown. Less g and the faster you go the
airloads push the flap up more. Do this correctly and it all works
nicely I'm told. You do need a damper as you are un mass balancing the
flaps and might be prone to flutter.

The flaps on the LS6 barely work according to the DLR polar I have
which is of course why the LS8 works so well.

Mike Borgelt