Old May 4th 04, 06:50 AM
Stan Gosnell

"John R Weiss" wrote in
news:%tvlc.22953$I%1.1648156@attbi_s51:

Unless the PF is disoriented, transferring control to the
PNF at the last second may be even a riskier proposition.
The PF has been actively flying and has the current feel of
the controls. He has unconsciously set the bias in the
trim that suits his techniques, which may be different from
the PNF's. The PF also has established his instrument
scan, which he can maintain until the flare or go-around;
he will have been peeking out the window regardless of his
discipline, and will have no worse a situational awareness
than the PNF at first ground contact.

Of course, if your OpSpecs dictate that technique and it is
practiced often, it may work out for you. I wouldn't
recommend it to a novice, though.

The ops specs leave it up to the captain. I usually fly with
one of 2 FOs, but sometimes with a new guy. My preference is to
have the FO fly the approach, and I will take the controls at
breakout if necessary, after monitoring the approach. I've had
a bad experience or two with the PF looking up, trying to get a
visual reference, and not being properly oriented right away.
We can cut the published visibility in half, down to 1/4 mile,
and Part 91 says you can continue to 100' above the TDZE if you
have the approach lights in sight. I've done that several
times, and always got the runway lights at about 110'. IMO,
that's too low to try to switch to visual, so it's safer to
transfer the controls, especially if it has been briefed and
practiced. A proper approach briefing, including transfer of
controls, is critical.

That's my preference, but your cockpit, your decision.

--
Regards,

Stan