Old August 8th 03, 07:28 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On 7 Aug 2003 20:25:14 -0700, (Snowbird) wrote:

Would you gents mind changing the Subject: line?

While I agree with you (and usually change the subject line myself), lately
we've been getting a batch of folks who complain when you do that....

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 00:45:28 -0500, Big John wrote:

]In the Nuc business there are very strict codes that have to be
]followed both in the office AND OUT. Any deviation from what is
]considered normal is subject to close scrutiny and if true out you go.
]Safety is paramount and crazy behavior is a key item that will get you
]booted.

Wasn't just nuke programs...had the same sort of thing ('Human Reliability
Program') while I was in ADCOM. Monitor your co-worker, report if he or
she starts acting funny, has marital problems, shows unexplained wealth,
etc. Oddly enough, the fact that a batch of us lieutenants all owned
fairly late model sports cars (Corvettes, Porsches, Trans-Ams, etc.) seemed
to be considered normal. :-)

I always think of the Alistair MacLean quote: "There are prisons in
America and cushy hotels in Moscow filled with people who had top security
clearances...." At some point, you just have to trust people.

In all honesty, I *really* pity the poor security folks nowadays. Thirty
years ago, they had to worry that someone would contact the Russians and
obtain a tiny camera which would allow them to shoot five or six grainy,
poorly-exposed photos of classified documents. Nowadays, you can go online
and buy a watch with a built-in USB storage system (including the
connecting cable, which tucks into the band) and walk home with hundreds of
classified documents invisibly strapped onto your wrist.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/5eec/

Twenty years ago, we couldn't bring calculators with memories into the work
areas (I once had a security officer pick up a calculator I was using and
ask, "Is that a classified number?"). Today, most engineering and
management types are wedded to their PDAs, and the security guys either
have to allow them in or cripple the true work.

No. I wouldn't want to be a security officer.

Ron Wanttaja