Old June 24th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike[_22_]

Default ICAO Flight Plans - RNAV/RNP??

"Dan" wrote in message
Just a personal C182.... Nothing fancy, no special training or
certification. I just want to ensure I can use the GPS for arrivals,
departures, approaches, and enroute ops (as I already do now).

My limited understanding of RNAV/RNP is it's just being implemented at the
largest air carrier airports at this time.

I know in the DFW metroplex, DFW airport is the only airport in the area
using RNAV (departures only). They may start using them at DAL sometime in
the future. Air carriers are the only ones I've seen using the procedures.

I can imagine there are a few hoops you have to dive through to meet SAAAR
and even if you could do all that, the only RNAV procedures I've seen are
for jets (perhaps there are others, but I'm only familiar with the ones in
my area).

Even given all that, RNAV procedures seem to have a pretty high level of
pilot deviations. My guess for this is there's a lot of people out there
not programming the box correctly.

My guess is eventually RNAV will be implemented much more widely as it
reduces controller and pilot workload, but it may be quite a while before
you see very many single engine prop guys doing it.