Old January 23rd 18, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default LK8000 map files?

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:30:10 -0800, jwyattlines wrote:

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 2:00:06 AM UTC-6, David Salmon wrote:
At 01:52 23 May 2017, Michael Opitz wrote:
I am anticipating flying the USA Club Class Nationals in Hobbs, NM at
the end of June. I am using an Avier/V2 PNA running both SeeYou
(licensed) and LK8000 programs. I have gone to the world wide
turnpoint exchange to get the contest data points, but I am looking
for where to go to get sectional and other maps, etc in the proper
digital format to download onto my PNA. I prefer to use LK8000, and I
was wondering if someone out there can point me to a site where I can
download the correct map data from?

Thanks,

RO

LK8000 maps are downloaded from the LK8000 web site (not the forum).
You need 2 files, Terrain (DEM) and Topology(LKM). Download them, copy
and paste into the Maps folder, then select them in
Configuration/System Setup page 1.
Dave

That gives the topo and terrain but not airspace!

LK8000 uses OpenAir format airspace mapping files.
Get them from the Worldwide Soaring Exchange:

http://soaringweb.org/Airspace

and remember to keep them up to date: in the UK the airspace files are
updated at around a three month interval. Other countries may differ.
Load this into LK8000 as the first airspace file.

Also, be aware that these maps cover the permanent airspace restrictions:
they do not include more temporary NOTAMs. How yo get the latter depends
on where you are. In the UK these can and do change on a daily basis so
you need to check them on the day. Places to check in the ULK a

- the AIS website (contains tools for displaying NOTAMS and their
validity periods

- NOTAMPLOT is an app with a graphical display and also shows the NOTAM
text. Works in conjunction with Avbrief and is helpful for task
planning

- SPINE generally similar to NOTAMPLOT but, in addition, can generate an
OpenAir file containing the current NOTAMs, which can be loaded into
LK8000 as the second airspace file and is displayed as part of the map.

You'll probably want a turnpoint file as well: Again, where you find it
and how often it gets updated depends on where you are. Here in the UK I
use the BGA's TpSelect tool to download and update the turnpoint file,
which changes once or twice a year. LK8000 can use either WinPilot or CUPs
format turnpoint files.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org