Old January 6th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

Default Good news for scratch builders of metal airplanes - Home Depot rents bending brakes

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"flybynightkarmarepair" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you're building in aluminum from scratch, one of the most
intractable problems is the need for an 8 ft bending brake for most
designs. A good one, even used, is about $1000, and at least half that
many pounds, although there are alternatives that weigh less.
http://www.guttersupply.com/products...ategoryId=1277
There are various ways to do a pretty good job with cheaper tooling,
but I think Dave Thatcher, the designer of the neat CX-4 VW powered
single seater

... This is a GREAT find. It makes me wonder if other tool rental places
have bending brakes.

If they rent construction related equipment, most likely they will have a
siding brake. I've rented them on more than one occasion (to hang
siding/trim).

Well, it turns out this is a REGIONAL phenomena. Here in Northern
California, houses are sheathed with Stucco, shingles, or wood siding.
You almost never see aluminum siding in this neck of the woods. Thus,
there seems to be no call in the rental market around here for the sort
of portable gutter or siding brake that seems to be common in Florida
;-(

I called every Home Depot Rental center within 50 miles, nothing. I
called every OTHER rental center within a smaller radius, nothing. The
counter guy (who is also the owner) of my favorite local rental outfit
said: "I've been in a lot of rental yards over the years, and I've
never seen one; we get questions about once a year, and that's not
enough demand to invest in that tool".

So I'm back at square one, me. Your Mileage May Vary.