Old November 18th 04, 08:41 PM
Mike Rapoport

wrote in message
Mike Rapoport wrote:
: Maybe :-) If the short field takoff is using a higher drag, higher lift
: configuration (more flaps) to get off the ground at a lower speed
(shorter
: roll) it then takes longer (in both time and distance) to make the climb
: over the obstacle because of the higher drag configuration. I hope this
: makes sense.

: In the Helio, the shortest ground roll is with 40 degrees of flaps but
the
: shortest distance over a 50' obstacle is with 30 degrees of flaps.

: Mike
: MU-2
: Helio Courier

OK... I'll buy that. My experience with performance charts is with a 172
and
a PA-28. The latter is sorely lacking in much relevant detail. I would
imagine much
more precision and other ways to figure how to eek out the maximum poop
from your
Helio POH... that's what the plane's FOR!

My PA-28 book makes no distinction. Just says, "Max effort, 25 degree
flaps
over 50'" It might not matter, but I don't info one way or the other.

-Cory

Actually the Helio manual is abysmal compared to the MU-2 manual which I
attibute to the age of the Helio (1974) to the MU-2 (1982). The Helio
manual does devote a lot of space to STOL techniques though. Manuals keep
getting thinker and thicker as time goes on...the FAA and lawers love paper!

Mike
MU-2