Old May 28th 04, 02:26 PM
Mark T. Mueller

Default Peltor Headset Experience

Last summer I purchased two Peltor ProGT ANR headsets at OSH after trying
many models.

I have to admit, both passive and active noise cancellation are excellent. I
was amazed at the performance in the loud and crowded hall. BUT, I did find
a problem with evaluating headset performance solely in a "listening booth".
You get NO feel for durability.

After flying with them over the months, battery life is abyssmal. Only 3 - 6
hours on one 9V, tops. 9V are considerably more expensive than AAs. I tried
rechargeable 9V, but on my last trip they drained so fast I had to run to a
drug store during a stop to by more Duracells.

Also, the ear seals are literally falling off the earcups. They are press
fit, but no longer remain engaged in the ear cup. I do not abuse these
headsets at all.

Peltor advertises a "LIFETIME WARRANTY" on these products, and at OSH the
reps assured me of continued product support. I did notice Peltor has been
bought out recently. When I contacted Peltor, they just passed the buck to
the distributor. So now I am totally screwed having spent big $$$ on these
headsets I have to return to the distributor without any guarantee they will
be returned in good order, or the flaws such as battery life can even be
fixed, and without headsets for a while!!!

After reading the reviews of Lightspeed's customer service, I can only watch
in amazement at Peltor. I have used Peltor products for years on shooting
ranges, and they always were of decent quality. Now I am stuck...

If you are surveying the headset market for a future purchase, I can say for
a fact the Peltor products do not hold up well to routine use. Look at
another product with better Customer Service.

Mark