View Single Post
Old August 12th 17, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

Default Standards for competition reporting

On Friday, 11 August 2017 20:27:31 UTC-6, acehu11 wrote:
As a low-time SEL private pilot with interest in soaring and obtaining a glider rating, I often follow the news of soaring competitions on the SSA website, Facebook, rec.aviation.soaring, the FAI site, and others. Some competitions have been very communicative with status updates multiple times per day, promoting the event, posting results shortly after completion, which really gives remote spectators like me an opportunity to experience the event virtually via the internet. Other events have included morning updates with pilot meetings, weather outlooks, expected plans for the day, launching news, and timely results. And then there are other events with very little to no news updates daily, and results potentially not updated for hours or days.

During the events with frequent status updates and heavy reporting, I very much feel connected to what is happening. I have the opportunity to dissect what the reporter has communicated, to try and understand what and why in the decision making process. These have been excellent opportunities for me to understand the logistics behind a competition and the decision making that goes on. Following the results, reporting, and pilot interviews pre and post each competition day also affords me the opportunity to hear what the plans were, decisions that were made, why they were made, how they created an advantage or disadvantage against the competition field, and the final outcome. For events with little to no communication or status updates online, there's very little opportunity for me to learn from the soaring community virtually, which really seems like a shame, given the immense talent that attends these events.

I recognize these competitions are ran voluntarily, and the time and dedication it takes to put on a successful and safe event should be commended. All the volunteers should be proud of themselves and thanked for the time they have given to help put on a successful event. Communications may not seem an integral part of the completion, but I'm hopeful, however, that the soaring community and SSA would consider adoption of a set of communication standards for future soaring competitions. Standards that define the frequency of online updates, types of communication (written, photo, video, etc), timeline for reporting of results, interviews of top competitors & notable pilots/events of the day, or other noteworthy happenings that help benefit the sport of soaring, and potentially help teach folks like me.

On a related note, congratulations to the competitors of the 18m nationals in Uvalde, TX. What I read of the event sounds like it really tested your experience and risk/reward decision making some days.

Thanks

-adrian

Valid points but IMHO the best way to address this is immerse yourself and attend a competition as a volunteer. There are always the need for more volunteers, you can rub shoulders with the greats of the sport, learn tons, get showered with praise and gratitude's, get dirty and sweaty with the best and then write up your thoughts, observations and experiences.