Old May 13th 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default Spot or InReach ??

Actually Paul, that is incorrect. Spot, starting with Gen 3 sends altitude data -- just not on their own web site. The altitude isn't displayed on the user's Spot shared web page, but is included in the JSON feeds used by glideport.aero and the SSA tracker, as well as on my own home brewed tools. I can assure you that it really is the accurate glider altitude, not the terrain elevation. I have flown with it and used it for almost a year now.

Some Gen 3 users may need to update their firmware to get it to work. And I have noticed that some older Gen 3 units seem to have occasional dropouts on the altitude data. Newer ones seem more reliable.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"