Old July 15th 03, 04:48 PM

Default Cheap ANR headset suggestions?

Hey all. I've been looking to upgrade my headset to an ANR and
figured I'd ask for advice. Let me give you a few tidbits that I've found
so far as a background:

- My intercom is a DC Isocom (Mono, single squelch, simple, adequate
quality, doesn't mix/match well brands of headsets)
- Tried a DRE-6000, and can best describe it as complete crap. The
passive performance isn't very good with the weakly clamped (read: not too
uncomfortable) earpieces. The ANR helps slightly with the low-freq engine
noise, but boosts the audio frequencies to an uncomfortable level. Also,
the mic is much more sensitive than the rest of the headsets, and lets
through a lot of background noise.
- Tried Lightspeed 15/20/25 K/XL. Much better than DRE-6k, but
still amplfies voice too much, and doesn't attenuate high-frequency
cockpit rattle of 500Hz-2kHz or so (present in my plane). I find it
difficult to get a volume that makes controllers clear, but not too loud
otherwise
- Currently using FlightLine HS-60B passive purchased about 1.5
years ago. Fairly comfortable, good passive attenuation, great radio and
mic sound quality and low noise, but the mic isn't very sensitive. Have
to shout to break the squelch, especially when the DRE-6k is in the mix.

Questions:
- Are the Lightspeed XC solid with descent passive and mild active?
Seem like a good choice, but look a bit flimsily constructed.
- Anyone know about the FlightLine Sky Hawk? I've been pleased with
my passives, but don't know much about these new actives.
- Can mic volumes typically be adjusted on headsets?

Thanks in advance,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *