Old March 16th 04, 05:00 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Boomer" wrote in message
I see that F-15 is limited to about 12º rotation on takeoff to avoid
scraping the tail or weapons. Is this fairly typicle of modern fighters?

Same for the Viper. You rotate between 8 and 12 degrees.
The F14 on a runway is tail feathers close at 10 degrees on rotation, and
you rotate no deeper than that, but the airplane rotates fairly flat and is
airborne before you meet that parameter anyway.
The trick with high performance aircraft of any kind is to rotate through
smoothly without overpitch.
On the other end of the spectrum, I made a takeoff in a stretch DC8 on a
maintenance flight once as a guest in the left seat (compliments of the
airline )
It had a multiple rotation to avoid nailing the tail. If I remember
correctly (it was a LONG time ago :-) it was 8 degrees on the ADI, followed
to 16 after positive rate of climb.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired