Old November 29th 03, 10:31 PM
Kevin Horton

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:17:48 -0500, Larry Smith wrote:

"Lpmcatee356" wrote in message
where can I find construction details - howto files?

Try downloading the Quicke construction manual. It's not much more than

seat
with wings.

www.finleynet.com

At its website Cessna explains why it uses exclusively aluminum
construction. Cessna says there are too many unknowns regarding glass
and that aluminum is better. Well, aluminum IS better in some respects,
but glass is also better in many respects too. Fiberglas is easy to
repair, it lends itself nicely to compound curves, it does not corrode or
fatigue like aluminum, it is capable of absorbing more shock than
aluminum, and its strength-to-weight ratio cannot be beat.

There is no doubt fibreglas construction has its advantages, but I'm not
so sure that light weight is one of them. My impression from comparing
specs of similar aircraft is that aluminum construction is usually
lighter. For example, if we look at two seat, side-by-side fixed gear
aircraft, the RV-6 seems to come out at least 100 lb lighter than a
Glasair II TD if we have similar engines and props. And the RV-6 has a
lot more wing (110 sq. ft. vs 81 sq. ft).

http://www.airsport.com/kits/ksuper2.htm
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-6spe.htm

The Zenair CH2000 and the Diamond DA-20 were both designed to meet the
same requirements (JAR-VLA). The aluminum CH2000 is about 100 lb lighter
than the composite DA-20:

http://www.newplane.com/amd/spec.html
http://www.diamondair.com/contentc/c1spec.htm

--