Old March 8th 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 4:30:07 PM UTC-5, Chris Rowland wrote:
At 20:21 07 March 2018, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 10:33:48 AM UTC-8, Daniel Sazhin wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 1:14:09 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
can anyone suggest a list of emergency situations that can be tried

with Condor?

Low altitude rope break
Thermalling too low near ridges
Stall/spin at low altitude
Non-standard landing patterns
Low final glides
Joining a ridge too low (before it gets steep)
Wind too weak on ridges

Just to name a few that come to mind.

All the best,
Daniel

Thanks Daniel!

These are all things where it would be really good to use a simulator but
will the current simulators do a good job?

In my ten years using Condor to conduct primary flight training, mostly online, there are very few flight conditions/situations that cannot be replicated with great accuracy.

They mostly need some combination of wide field of view, so you can see
your landing area when it's alongside and disappearing behind,

While wide field of view would be nice, is not necessary. The available field of view can be adjusted in the desired direction, not unlike turning your head. Redirecting your available field of view is an additional skill that needs to be developed to take full advantage of the simulation, but is well worth the effort and eventually becomes second nature (i.e., subconscious).

I train simulation-based rating candidates to control the available field of view so as to clear the airspace in advance of and during turns, and to keep the landing area in sight throughout the entire landing pattern. I demonstrated this technique during my presentation at the SSA convention in Reno last week.

If you have Condor, I recently published a tutorial on what I call "Wing-Tip Turning" to my website at "gliderCFI.com". Look under the Condor/Orientation drop-down menu. If you have Skype, I would be happy to demonstrate the technique online. Contact me via the contact link at "gliderCFI.com".

and high
resolution, so you get good distance perception.

Condor's resolution is good enough to provide decent distance perception.

For stall/spin training
the sensations can be overwhelming and a fixed simulator can't deliver
that.

Keep in mind that 75% of the sensory input to your brain is visual. Only 6% is tactile (kinesthetic). Properly employed, even Condor's limited field of view can provide a very effective representation of what is like to enter and recovery from a spin. I have personally experienced, and seen others, getting seriously disoriented in simulation as their brains struggled to deal with the visual images on their monitors. The brain adjusts to the size of the monitor.

===

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,

Scott Manley - 316716CFI-G