Old July 14th 03, 04:01 AM
Craig

cal (BD5ER) wrote in message ...
Not a good idea to use any type of foam or paper tape like this.

Moisture may be a problem with paper tape and some foam tape. That's why I
specified auto trim tape. The auto industry started using it not only to make
application quicker but to reduce corosion. Quality foam tape is not
hygroscopic and will hold less moisture than what will be retained in the thin
air gap under a Tinnerman nut due to condensation.

Long term degradation could still be a problem with the foam tapes. I have
seen no evidance that they will last more than 15 to 20 years.

After all the years that we have been building the F-16, we have
elminated any type of tapes in the fuselage that do not require baking
on. Some early harness mounts utilized foam, but they never lasted
more than a few weeks in service. Anything that will or can trap water
or moisture, we try to eliminate. Even the harness covers are
fabricated so as to not trap moisture. We use hundreds of clip on
Tinnerman style nutplates and don't have a cracking or corrosion
problem where they are used, unless mechanics get heavy handed yanking
them around. We replace more of them due to damage from crossthreading
screws or someone stepping on the bracket they are installed on.

On the F-22, even our labels are sealed onto the airframe with an
epoxy encapsulation to prevent accumulating any moisture under them.

Craig C.