Old November 27th 03, 07:29 PM
Andrew Chaplin

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
news:Xbqxb.505486$6C4.227655@pd7tw1no...

"George Z. Bush"
I can see wanting to do something for their families.....but wouldn't

the
Purple
Heart have been more appropriate? After all, that's what we award to

our
own
victims of friendly fire, isn't it?

I just reported what the news clip stated. As far as I know, there

is
no Canadian or British Commonwealth equivalent to the U.S. Purple Heart
medal so possibly that is why the Bronze Star is to be awarded. The

only
other Commonwealth medal is the Mother's Cross presented to the mother

of
the deceased. I don't know if they still do this. In the past

Canadians
were awarded British decorations but some Canadian medals are now

issued.

AIUI, they have already issued Memorial Crosses (http://tinyurl.com/wt6x)
to the mothers or widows of Sgt Léger, Cpl Dyer, and Ptes Smith and
Green. Pte Green's mum was the Silver Cross mother at the service at the
National Cenotaph and was in the same role at Nova Scotia's ceremonies in
2002. I suspect that Purple Hearts were not in order since their deaths
were not in the face of the enemy, nor did they result from enemy action.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO