Old March 31st 04, 02:02 AM
lance smith

Mixing fuels (and associated dyes) doesn't do anything weird
chemistry-wise. 100LL + JetA will just dilute the blue dye and the
mixture will look a light blue like Jer said. So if you mix 80 + 100LL
you get purple (red + blue). Try it, no fuel dye combination makes
gray.

-lance smith

wrote in message ...
Jeremy Lew wrote:
Is this the kind of thing which can be caught by looking at the color of the
fuel in the fuel tester? I don't know the color of Jet A, but I was taught
to look for the blue color and that if two kinds of fuel are mixed it all
turns gray. Anyone know if in practice this would be easily detectable in
the fuel strainer?

Please, please go DO the EXPERIMENT. It does NOT TURN GRAY!

The CHEMISTRY of the colored fuels will turn them CLEAR when mixed.

Mixing 100LL and Jet A will look very light blue, but smell wrong and
feel oily.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard