Old April 20th 05, 04:11 PM
Iwan Bogels

Hi Hilton,

The engine ends in front of the the "circular hole". Just behind the hole
are three triangular shapes metal shields that can fully close off the main
exhaust pipe, forcing the thrust bach forward through the "circular hole".
This must have been one of the earliest versions of a thrust reverser.
Actually the Viggen can back up into a revetment of parking spot by using
this method. Looks great during demonstration flights (or should I say
demonstration rides).

Cheers,
Iwan

"Hilton" schreef in bericht
link.net...
Bob wrote:

Excellent photos of the plane. Brings back memories of making plastic
models as a kid, I'm sure one was the Viggen.

I loved the Viggen when I was a kid - I still remember making and painting
Viggen models. At the time I was very curious about the 'circular hole'
around the engine tail cone - I never figured it out. Can anyone help me
understand what it did, and if it worked, why other aircraft do not have

it.

Thanks,

Hilton