Old November 9th 05, 05:43 AM
skym

Default Let's Be Honest

I have a recently installed Garmin GPS430. But I also have a Lowrance
(handheld) 1000 GPS to use. The Lowrance is MUCH better at situational
awareness than the panelmount. Please understand--I have no complaints
about the 430; it is a great unit. However, the Lowrance 1000 is a
very, very nice unit- it has way-better ground mapping and obstruction
info than the Garmin. When closer to the ground, I'll take the
Lowrance anyday--it has an obstruction database that will save your
bacon long before the Garmin kicks in. But-for the Garmin 430 IFR
authorization (STC??) to be IFR, the Lowrance product (and perhaps the
Garmin 295/395) is really just about as good. So far, the only
differance I can detect is the fact that the antenna is mounted on the
top of the plane, and less likely to loose lock on the satellites (Not
that this is a small issue).

Comments?