Old December 18th 05, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Showing metal at 1,100 hours

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
Kyle Boatright wrote:

Since you let the aircraft sit for 60 days, is it possible (likely?) that
the metal you are seeing is simply the layer of rust that formed on your
cylinder bores?

Possible? I certainly hope so. Likely? I don't know. Does anyone doing
regular oil analysis see this when their a/c sits idle for 60 days?

I realize that if I have a jug pulled and find nothing then I really have
a problem. What is it? Rust in the cylinder bores would be a Christmas
present.

210% increase in iron after sitting for 60 days? That doesn't sound very
likely to me, but then again I am not Howard Fenton. How many hours did you
fly after it sat for that long before you changed the oil and did the
analysis? Did you change the oil again after that? Try putting some rare
earth magnets on the filter housing, that will help collect any more of the
iron as well, give you another point of reference...