Old December 27th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Jose

Default spins from coordinated flight

A "normal" turn is accomplished by splitting the lift vector, NOT by holding in yaw. Yaw should only be present in the turn dynamic during the entry into the turn and exit from the turn.

Ok, then what exactly is "yaw"? My understanding is that it is a change of direction of the longitudinal axis of the aircraft in the plane that is roughly coplanar with the wings.

Splitting the lift vector serves to change the direction of flight, but not to change the heading. To do that you need what I was calling yaw, and if you want to stay in a coordinated turn, you need to continually change the heading as you continually change the direction of flight. You would have a steady change in heading (which will include a steady yaw) with no acceleration in the yaw direction.

You seem to be defining yaw as a rotational =acceleration= of the longitudinal axis of the aircraft in the plane that is roughly coplanar with the wings.

Do I have that right?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.