Old January 25th 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default ORCA lower than MEA?

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:09:40 -0800, Sam Spade wrote:

I haven't done it in a long time myself. I did have LA Center a couple
times way back when say "Unable to approve VFR on top at the requested
altitude.."

So, since On Top is an amendment to an IFR clearance I think they can
make whatever they choose out of their responsibilities with on On-Top
amendment to your IFR clearance.

Some controllers or facilities, particularly a mountain-area center,
might reasonably be very unconfortable with the IFR flight plan aspect
of the aircraft being below MIA or MEA.

No doubt.

Here in the NE I've only used OTP to get through an overcast.

And my usual clearance would be basically out of the 7110.65. Something
like:

CLIMB TO AND REPORT REACHING VFR-ON-TOP,
NO TOPS REPORTS.
IF NOT ON TOP AT 7000', MAINTAIN 7000', AND ADVISE.

Picking at nits, that is a clearance to on top, as opposed to modifying
an en route IFR clearance from an assigned altitude to en route on top.
In the former you are excepted to cancel reaching on top. What you do
is a very common practice around here in terminal airspace, and always
has an altitude assignment at, or above MVA. I suppose it could be done
with a center at an airport where they provide terminal service. Never
done that (always files a full en route IFR flight plan out of such
airports; PRB coming to mind where I have done that a lot.