Old May 24th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Air Carriers and Biz-jets Target GA Recreational Fliers

In article
,
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

On May 23, 12:32 pm, "F. Baum" wrote:
On May 22, 5:27 pm, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Class D
tower is the highest I've seen at GA airports, and even there it
appears to be mostly due to historic reasons (ie it used to be a
military field or used to have airline traffic some time in the past).
Some airports operate their class D tower only when scheduled airlines
are expected to arrive and depart.

The need for a tower is based on the number or volume of A/C
movements. Also, keep in mind that it takes special authorization for
a 121 carrier to operate IFR in uncontroller airspace.

I would be interested to know how many ATC towers have been built for
reasons other than serving 121 carriers or military. Oshkosh is one
example, but are there more?

New Smyrna Beach (EVB), Ormond Beach (ORM) to serve Embry-Riddle
University. Also talk abour one at DeLand (DED), too.