Old February 2nd 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Which overhauled Lycoming 0-360 A4M Engine To Fit In My Archer ?

Well I really appreciate the suggestions so far.

Unfortunately, overhauling the existing engine locally is not a viable
option because the Archer is in regular use as a business tool and for
pleasure of course !
We need to keep the time out of service to 10 days at most so we are fixed
on buying an overhauled exchange engine.
Also I must say that the local mechanics I know will not overhaul engines
because of the costs of the insurance to cover them.

After some really hard soul searching I am leaning towards the Superior
Certified Millennium engine.
I wonder if any of the group have experience of fitting one ?

--
Roy - N5804F Piper Archer
"I have had some bad landings but I have never missed the runway ..... yet"

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you have a mechanic to work with who will sign off a field
rebuild...
You might consider sending the case, crank, cam, con rods, to Divco for
IRAN and balancing (or Aircraft Specialities, etc.) along with the new
cylinders of your choice of brand... Press new bushings in the rocker
arms... Send the carb, alternator, vac pump, oil pump, for overhaul...
Overhaul the mags and install with new wires and new hoses... Then
with your mechanic put it back together... This should be less than
the highest bid you had for an overhaul and will give you the
equivalent of a new engine...

denny

My experience is that the mechanic's labor is a very small component of
the cost of a rebuild. The difference in labor cost between the local
mechanic (who may be Superman with a wrench... or not) and a well-known
shop is *probably* less than the bump in value the airplane will get by
having an engine that was rebuilt by a nationally known shop.