Old July 21st 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Default oil change durations

At that oil burn rate, you are replacing the oil every 6 hous or so. I
wonder why oil changes are needed at all. Why not just change the filter?
(grin)

Seriously, I kept good records on my last airplane which included an
spectrographic analysis every oil change. Analysis of the results
consistently showed a sharp upturn in the contaminant levels at 50 hours oil
change intervals. This was atributed to the 'wearing out' of the anti-wear
additive package in new oil after 50 hours of use.

Bill Daniels

"Dick" wrote in message
Having always changed the aeroshell 100 sae50 change in my c85 every 25
hours, I'm considering extending the aeroshell duration to maybe 35 hours.

My flights are in Florida and usually around an hour (or sometimes two)
and am currently burning/losing up to 1/2 quart per hour when filled to
3-1/4 quart line on the dipstick.

Of course I'm thinking about oil cost and feel like adding that oil each
flight hour does help it's cleanliness and service life.

Comments (be gentle G)?

Thanks, Dick