Old May 8th 08, 04:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Hans Holbein

Default Aces . . .

Jacques & Laurie schrieb:
Question:

Anyone ever hear of George "Buzz" Beurling?

When caught by the Bf 109s, many pilots found themselves flying for their
lives using all helpful manoeuvres. Canadian George "Buzz" Beurling
developed an evasive action when he, upon being attacked from behind, pulled
the stick extremely hard, causing the Spitfire to enter a violent stall,
flick over and spin. The manoeuvre was so quick and rough that it was
impossible to follow, but only very few pilots ever learned to use it.

Im doing fine with "Sturmovik" and discovered the same action as very
effective evasion, with a little disadvantage, that you loose lots of
Energy. If you first step in the rudder, Stall can be provoked faster.
Some Fighters have a little tendency of stalling in a flatspin with no
possibility (for me) to regain control again, as the I-16 or the P47.
The flight model is told to be the most accurate of all sims.

If your oponent is aware enough (or just knows you and your special
tricks) and just pulls up with a turn to watch, he can wait until you
regain control and decide getaway direction and attack again with energy
advantage, while meanwhile you had to keep most of your concentration to
regain control from stall.
Loose sight, loose fight.
If it would have been a widespread procedure, it would have been well
known by the german pilots and soon will have been given up I guess.

"Buzz" Beurling was as good a shooter as he was a pilot: he became the top
ace of the 1942 Malta campaign with 27 victories to his credit. Rumours said
that he once shot down a Messerschmitt Bf 109 with only two bullets!

The ability of hitting and the coolness not to fight witout advantage
makes you the ace.

http://spitfiresite.com/history/spit...e-of-malta.htm

Thx for the intresting link.