Old June 10th 19, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Recommended websites for posting student IGC files?

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 7:18:13 PM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
Now that we finally have a PowerFLARM in our club 2-seater, I am wondering where to post the IGC files so the students can later examine their flights, and possibly make badge claims.

Hi George. If the students bring their own USB stick (USB 2.0 compatible, less than 32 GB), and insert into the FLARM panel pass-through (or the box directly), the PowerFLARM will download the IGC files to the stick when it is powered down. Depending on which display you have, you can also trigger the last IGC file to download after landing (the Butterfly display can do this). Then they can use the online software to look at their files.

If they upload to OLC, it modifies (shrinks) the file for storage; this modification violates the security of the file, so it cannot be used for badge claims. No problem, the original stays on the PowerFLARM, and it can still be downloaded by the pilot or OO for a claim. At GGC, I clear the logs at the start of every season, but there is lots of storage there for files. If the PowerFLARM goes to maintenance, the memory is usually wiped (same happened for my old Volkslogger).

For file verification of soaring performance (making a good start, the turnpoints, staying out of controlled airspace, altitude, file validity, direct claims to OLC, etc), SeeYou is very good, and for someone who is going to fly tasks or perhaps contests, worth the money, in my opinion; you don't have to update it unless a feature pops up that you'd like (for example, the ability to connect to SkySight and download weather to certain flight computers). I'm running version 8, and 10 is current; I'm aware of others in club with versions older than mine. I assume your PowerFLARM has the upgrade that makes it PowerFLARM-IGC (all recently purchased PowerFLARMs have this at no cost). Its barograph should be calibrated if it will be used for close altitude claims. This can be done up to 60 days after the fact, and the calibration is good for 5 years. I was disappointed that PowerFLARM is the only Flight Recorder I'm aware of that doesn't come calibrated (my ClearNav vario came cal'd; so did my old Volkslogger), but I'm told not many want that feature.

The IGC has an online checker for file security at http://vali.fai-civl.org/validation.html .

If you wish to post the IGC files themselves so that pilots have access, I'd suggest opening a group in Groups.io. Free, many of the features of Yahoo groups with none of the pain... I run a Condor glider sim group for Eastern Ontario with it, and it has proved easy, reliable, and free. Someone would have to load the files onto a stick, then upload to the files section of the group at the end of a weekend (or flying day), and send an e-mail to the group members using the e-mail list.

If students want to look at their files, the OLC is the standard, and as has been mentioned, does allow them to see how far they went today, and perhaps be motivated to try to beat that tomorrow.

Dan Daly
2D
GGC senior OO