Old January 10th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default Club Glider Hangar?

Not only can you do damage to the glider when rigging and derigging, but
there have been numerous accidents resulting from rigging errors, quite a
few of which were fatal.

If you have the luxury of hangers, you end up with an inherently safer
operation. Not to mention the obvious advantages of time and effort that
become more important as we age.

It would be really helpful if we could get one of the companies marketing
steel hangers to come up with a standard glider hanger design so that
interested clubs would be able to order economical hanger kits that they can
either self build, or have erected by a local contractor.

Mike Schumann

"Cats" wrote in message
On Jan 10, 5:09 pm, Adam wrote:
On Jan 9, 10:17 pm, "Mike Schumann" mike-nos...@traditions-

nospam.com wrote:
My personal feeling is that ease of access is a huge issue. Our club has
K8 and K7 that is hung in a large hanger. Because people consider these
gliders to be a hassle to get down (about a 5 - 10 minute job), they are
rarely flown.

Mike Schumann

And I cannot explain the Junior...it sits on the floor of a hangar
collecting dust all season. I'd be surprised if it logged 10 hrs TTA.

Rigged? Amazing if it is. But do several other gliders have to be
pulled out to get at it? And is it very different to fly to anything
else that you have e.g. does it need a period of adjustment?

Only once last year did we have all five ships on the line, and that
was a crappy day. The reason: the club president was acting flight
operations officer that day and pushed hard to get everything in the
air.

/Adam

Our clib gliders live rigged in a hanger, getting another one in the
air is easy and we do it all the time if there is a queue to fly - and
that's a queue to fly Juniors!

As to rigging one's own glider, I'm looking forward to being able to
keep mine, rigged, in a hanger as I'm going to do my back in if I keep
rigging to fly. Plus, I can fly when I only have time to DI & fly,
rather than rig, DI, fly & derig. Finally it always feels to me like
rigging & derigging are times when a glider can be damaged, and I'm
keen to avoid that.