Old March 18th 17, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 2:13:47 PM UTC-4, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 8:50:49 PM UTC+3, wrote:
The performance gain from extra wingspan is convenient. Is it justifiable to keep records by wingspan? Let's go full on and have one open open class for records. $ame as a motor. No money excuses. Buy the widest, newest glider if you want a record.

I'll just note that there appear to be world records with a higher "performance" by 15m gliders than by Open Class gliders. Span isn't always an advantage.

Short ones are faster. Right on. All the more reason to stop using span as a record category. Advantage of a single open open class, beyond saving server space, is we'd know what the fastest glider really is.