Old March 18th 17, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 10:41:26 AM UTC-7, Sierra Whiskey wrote:
So wait, are you saying that motor glider owners don't have trailers? I am not really sure what the Trailer Versus Motor argument is here.

And if you are spending $1200 per year to maintain your motor (isolate motor cost, not airframe maintenance), something is wrong with your motor. For your own safety please stay within safe glide of a suitable landing field..

I already said you cannot prove that the bad decisions have not been made by motor glider pilots. I am not saying they all make the decision, however the option is there for someone to take the risk. It is about options, not about "have you" or "have I".

The point of consolidation still alludes me. By the logic presented here, eliminate the distinction between general, female, and junior records because there is no apparent difference in performance capability between the groups, and very few female and junior record attempts are being made. I hope we can agree to keep these categories as they contain records that have been set, and they allow for a broader range of goals to be set, calculated, and measured by more pilots.

SW, having the ability to cheat is not the same as cheating. For example, you do not accuse all men of rape merely because they have the equipment to perform the act. The option to take the risk of continuing on too low exists for 'pure' gliders as well. But the fact is, low saves are not a part of any recent record, so the "option" did not come into play.

I will argue against female records on the same basis. Are you suggesting that females are inferior in some way, and cannot routinely achieve the same soaring skills as males? Juniors is a different thing: it encourages a novice group, whose eligibility automatically ends. If you want to fracture records into age groups, that might make more sense - but there is little enough participation even to fill the categories we already have.