Old September 1st 17, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default Where can I train in a PW-6? Seminole Lake's is down formaintenance for a couple of months

My total time in PW-5 is 466 hrs, flown between 1995 and 2001. When I first bought it, I was a pretty low time pilot, well below 100 hours. I expected and asked our club's CFIs to fly it for me and share their remarks. They looked at me and said: It's your glider, you fly it first. I did. No problem whatsoever, rather an amazement how nice, light and easy it was. And that feeling continued throughout my ownership of it. The two instructors flew after me to have this model in their logbooks. Hmmm... OK, they trusted that I could handle it.

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 9:06:58 AM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
The PW-5 is one of the easiest flying and safest gliders out there.

It flies much easier and lighter than the ASK-21 or any other sailplane I've flown. I flew my PW-5 on my 7th solo flight during flight training with no issues (and loved it!)

I did not find take off to be an issue. The tow rope will lift the nose wheel off the runway slightly and off you go. I agree with Martin - don't be too anxious to start flying. The ship will do that for you at the correct speed.

The controls are really light and, after a while, you just think of rolling into a thermal and the glider just does it for you.

The only caution would be landing. If you land with more than 1/2 airbrakes, the ground might come up and meet you a little too fast.

Enjoy your new PeeWee!

Lou