Old December 15th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Transponder vs. Portable Transponder Detectors

John,

I started with the Zaon MRX 2.5 years ago. It was a real eye-opener,
in that I suddenly found out that my scan wasn't detecting anywhere
near the traffic that was out there. Nine months ago I installed a
transponder. I've since watched traffic I was following deviate a bit
to avoid me. Both devices have added markedly to the phrase "see and
be seen".

Now, I fly in an area between Philadelphia, PA and Newark, NJ. To say
it's busy is an understatement. If you were just staying in Alliance,
I'd say you'd be fine with something like the MRX. But at Minden?
Boulder? Get a transponder, too!

What do you figure your life is worth? For about $3000 you can cover
both options.

-John

John Murphy wrote:
Dear All:

I fly a G102 out of Alliance, Nebraska, for most of the year. Other
than a daily commercial shuttle flight from Denver, there is almost no
traffic at the airport or in the area where I soar. There are no
other gliders at all. However, from time to time I'll come into
contact with powered traffic, mostly casual fliers, crop dusters, and
hunters.

A couple times a year I take my glider to other locations, usually in
areas with a lot more traffic both in terms of other gliders,
commercial aircraft and general aviation. I've taken my glider to Air
Sailing, Boulder, and Moriarity, and hope to take it to Minden,
Parowan and other locations in the near future.

My G102 is in excellent shape, and I've put quite a bit into it. With
two kids in college and one who just entered third grade (good
spacing), this glider will be with me for awhile . . . at least 10
years.

I'm looking at installing either a transponder or PTD. I've read Eric
Greenwell's excellent article on the Soaring Safety Foundation's web
site about the differences, but I need some assistance in deciding
between the two.

The cost difference ($2500 vs. $500) isn't my primary concern. Its
signficant, but since I'm going to keep the glider for awhile its not
dispositive. I can afford one or the other, but not both.

My primary concern is that a transponder won't tell me where other
planes are and how to aovid them and is dependant on me being hooked
into a tower. On the flip side, I'd really, really like the big
planes traveling fast toward Reno approach to know where I am during
my one or two weeks there in the spring.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John Murphy, N184SS.