Old December 20th 04, 12:45 AM
tony roberts

Anything that reduces the amount of fruitcake in the world is a worthwhile
proposition.

Certainly, anything that reduces the amount of typical Canadian/US
fruitcake, and the price conscious European fruitcake is a good thing.

But to eradicate the real thing would be sacreligious!

Ahhh - but how do you tell I hear you asking - and if you weren't
asking, you're gonna hear anyway

The best Christmas cake - which is traditionally a richly decorated high
quality fruit cake, and the better quality Christmas puddings, are made
one year ahead - the one you make this year is for next Christmas.

It is very dense with fruit and contains generous amounts of brandy.
Every couple of months you unwrap it, poke holes through it and add more
brandy. Just before Christmas you decorate it.

If it doesn't have enough fruit or brandy it spoils. If it does have
enough, it matures, just like wine does.

Or, you order one from Fortnum and Mason - not as good as the best
homemade, but reasonably close and a lot less work.

But these that I see in Canada - that actually contain colouring to make
them look dark - lets ship the whole lot through US Customs - hopefully
they'll blow them all up.

Tony - who makes the best brandy sauce on the West Coast

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL