Old May 9th 05, 03:44 AM
David Leonard

GNII, and I think the old Pocket NAV download the *.cai file and then
generate the *.igc file from that. The *.cai file is what you need to
use for the OLC if you don't want the red mark. The one you have on the
PDA will work just fine. It doesn't help to have a laptop for the
download, unless you just want to check the log on the spot.

You need to use the OLC utility (available on the OLC site for free) or
the equivalent in SeeYou and maybe others to generate the *.igc file to
give to the OLC. The utility encodes the *.cai file as ascii text and
appends it to the generated *.igc file. That allows the OLC to verify
the security of the submission using the original *.cai file. The
utility runs under DOS, but it doesn't have to be done at the time of
the download. The OLC does not accept the old fake G record on old
heritage CAI loggers any more.

It doesn't help to have a laptop for the download, unless you just want
to check the log on the spot. You don't have to accept the red dot, if
you don't mind a few hoops once you get home with your log file (*.cai)
on your PDA.

ZL

Papa3 wrote:
Gary,

Pretty much the same as I do with Pocket Nav. It also indicates
security okay. For some reason, the Cambirdge software (this pre-dates
GNII) doesn't insert a G record. I get the A record, H records, a
single-instance I record, L records, then all of the B records. But,
no G.

I should clarify that I KNOW that a "legitimate" G record can only be
produced by the Cambridge authorized DLL; what I was hoping for was
that somebody had created a Pocket PC download application that invoked
the appropriate DLL, suitably packaged for running on Pocket PC.

I simply refuse to deal with the bull**** of having to lug around a
laptop (which no longer has a serial port, so add on to that the USB to
Serial adapter) to bring over to the glider or deal with the fact that
repeatedly plugging/ unpluggin RJ 11 connectors eventually leads to
their failure.

For now, I guess I'll just live with the stigma of the scarlet I
("Info") on the OLC site :-))

P3