Old May 15th 05, 01:38 AM
JJS

"Icebound" wrote in message

If this is "just" a fishing trip, have you considered going into,
say, Kenora CYQK, or Thunder Bay CYQT, and having a local operator
fly you out to your destination??? I have no idea of the relative
costs, but it would give you a view of the area and help you make up
your mind whether you want to fly this area (North of Baudette, and
especially north of Kenora) without some bush-flight training.

A lot of the small commercial operations and most of the private
operation in the area is probably done on floats. This is not just
an area of "very few emergency landing sites", it is also "very few
settlements or habitation", especially north of Kenora.

There is *always* a chance of getting weathered in for more than a
day or two (VFR), as there is *always* a chance of getting perfectly
flyable weather for a week or two. I don't have records of ceilings
and visibility, but I do have rainfall. At Red Lake in 1999, for
example, there was about 2/10 inch of rain total, for the whole
period June 10 to 21, with 5 consecutive no-rain days. In the same
period in 2000, the amount of rain was over 6 inches, and it did NOT
rain on only three days in that period. Now, I suspect a good deal
of that was from thunder-showers... but some of it may have come
from low-ceiling drizzle....I have no way of knowing.

In short, it is too early to tell what you will get, with any degree
of certainty.

Thanks for the weather info, Icebound. I knew it was a stretch
asking, but was hoping someone was familiar with the area and could
generalize. Your post was helpful.

The trip was planned by other people many months ago. The main guy
that set it up has gone about 10 or 11 years in a row. They were
going to drive up to Red Lake from various parts of the country. A
co-worker invited me to go with them. Rather than drive the 1381
miles which I've been told takes about 24 hours, I'd much prefer to
fly for 10 or 12, and think it would be quite an adventure. We are to
be picked up by float plane at Red Lake and taken into the bush.

I called the float plane company today but the man I was referred to
wasn't there. He is supposed to try and call me back tomorrow. I
fully intend to ask him about preferred routes, but wanted as much
info as possible. Bush pilot training is going to be hard to get in
N.W. Oklahoma.