Old February 4th 10, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default View US Airports and Contest Turnpoints in Google Earth

Hi Lynn,

Way cool!

Thank you very much for the awesome free resource for glider pilots!

Paul Remde

"2KA" wrote in message
All,

I've added support for Google Earth .KML files to the interactive
turnpoint file generator on my website. You can now upload a
turnpoint file for a contest site (from the Worldwide Soaring
Turnpoint Exchange) and download a .KML file that can be opened with
Google Earth showing those turnpoints merged with current FAA airport
information. Or just pick a location and show surrounding airports
without uploading a turnpoint file.

Previously supported file formats on my website include .CUP (for
SeeYou, SeeYou Mobile, Strepla, etc.), Cambridge .DAT (for Cambridge
and others), .NDB for the ILEC SN-10, and .STX (for ClearNAV and
others). There is also a discussion on how to generate turnpoints
that can be uploaded into generic Garmin GPS units.

The source of the airport data is the FAA's National Airspace System
Resource files (NASR). It is current, free, and freely
redistributable. Note that in the case of contest turnpoints, I
always use the geographical location from the uploaded contest
turnpoint file in preference to the FAA''s published location.

I've added an easier to use internet address for my site. It can now
be found at:

http://www.soaringdata.info

Or you can continue to use my previously published address:

http://www.xmission.com/~lalley/aviation/

Happy downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"