View Single Post
Old February 9th 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Duo NV lands on Heavenly Ski Resort. Not kidding...

On Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:14:09 PM UTC-8, Jonathon May wrote:

Damn good flying from what I can see.

Damn irresponsible from what I can see. Sorry, but I get really frustrated with complimenting this behavior at all. Yes the stick skills to execute the landing may have been impressive (and likely that's what was meant in the comment), but the likely poor judgement and risk exposure to people on the ground are severe. Several possible better things might have been possible earlier, but there is a Golf course 2 - 2.5 km away fairly straight downhill (500' lower elevation) from the landing location. Effectively zero chance of hitting anybody on the snow covered abandoned golf course. I just cannot fathom putting a glider on that ski-run with that golf course so close. Of course it would have been been better to go earlier to KTVL airport nearby.

Fairly benign weather conditions were likely, no bursts or sudden downdrafts likely. Quite possible that the forecast and actual wind reports from nearby peaks indicating a reverse to typical wind direction with the glider now flying more the lee side of the mountain may have been a factor. But they should have had a lot of time after crossing the ridge into the South Lake Tahoe bowl area to work out that was going on.

Of course there are always dangers of making uniformed comments, and second guessing any situation, and yes I am doing that, but the action of landing this glider and putting people on the ground at such high risk just claws at me, especially when there appears to have been useful safer (for third parties) alternatives.

If you are not familiar with this area, go have a virtual look, you can fly around in the Google Earth's flight simulator and the default Minden demo terrain for SilentWings covers this area, and I assume the same for Condor. Try running different scenarios in your mind and think what you might do.

I am assuming the landing location was on "First Run" at Heavenly near the main lodge building around about 38°55'59.77"N 119°56'27.08"W

The Golf course is at 38°56'21.61"N 119°57'58.76"W

The North end of runway 18 @ KTVL is at 38°54'14.98"N 119°59'32.12"W

As other commentators have noted it is very unfortunate to see a Soaring NV glider involved in this. Their operation really is impressive, people there care deeply about promoting soaring, they have a great well equipped modern glider fleet and saftey is something they seem to care deeply about (e.g.. being a hard advocate for use of transponders in the busy airspace of the Reno area and many other things).

Maybe we'll find out more what happened and we'll be able to make more informed comments but if nothing else I hope at least thinking about this helps folks in future choices between different land-out options where there could be very high risks to people on the ground.

Darryl