Old December 1st 12, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

On Nov 30, 6:03Â*pm, "Sean F (F2)" wrote:
Ron,

Sorry if this is already understood, but I want to clarify just in case. Â*As this "US Club Class" conversation currently stands, the only 2013 event which MAY have a "US Club Class" would be the US Sports Class Nationals. Â*US Sports Class will still exist "as is" for all regional events unless an organizer decides to apply for a waiver, etc. Â*I am not aware of any contests planning on seeking a waiver yet, although I am considering it for Ionia. Â*So, we are all looking at competing in "traditional" US rules based Sports Class for all 2013 US regional contests. Â*Nothing changes there.

And, the 2013 Sports Class Nationals will only have a "US Club Class" IF 12+ gliders freely register for US Club Class AND are within the handicap range allowed (whatever it ends up being).

Personally, I do think pilots should have the option to stay in Sports class or choose to fly club (if flying a glider within the FAI Club Class handicap range, whatever that ends up being). Â*This would offer all pilots with "Club" level ships the best of both worlds, free will options to choose either racing format and no chance for anybody to be "left behind." Â*The question comes down to at what point do we over-extend the handicap range. Â*Why not at least start with the established range (or very close to it)? Â*In other words, Is this A) US "Club" Class or just B) US Sports Class low.

Sean

No waiver is needed to run a club class regionals using whatever
handicap range you want. All that's needed is interested pilots and
contest organizer. Go for it.

5.7 ‡ â€* Competition Classes
5.7.1 ‡ â€* The gliders eligible to compete are described in Rule 6.12.
5.7.2 ‡ â€* A competition can include more than one handicapped class
5.7.2.1 ‡ â€* Entries to a competition class can be restricted based on
criteria specified by the contest organizers on the application
for sanction form. Possible criteria include (but are not limited to)
maximum wingspan or a handicap range (or a combination).
5.7.2.2 ‡ â€* The handicap ranges of competition classes may overlap.
5.7.2.3 ‡ â€* Competition classes can be labeled, promoted and tasked to
appeal to pilots by skill level rather than or in addition to
limitation on gliders.

The level of factually wrong assertions in this series of posts,
petition, and email campaign is not advancing the discussion

And, the 2013 Sports Class Nationals will only have a "US Club Class" IF 12+ gliders freely register for US Club Class AND are within the handicap range allowed (whatever it ends up being).

And if you can't get 12 gliders to show up, the solution is to
further restrict the handicap range?

John Cochrane