Old May 7th 04, 07:39 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(David B. Cole) wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys, but after a crappy day of flying today I
think I'm going to postpone. We went up yesterday to do steep turns
and partial panel unusual attitudes, which weren't bad. Today the
plan was to fly to Sussex (FWN) and Lincoln Park (N07) for GPS
approaches. But for some reason on the final approach course into
Sussex, I couldn't hold the CDI on the GPS because I never found a
good reference heading and I just watched it go side to side,
something which is unusual for me. I also botched all of my calls
over the CTAF. My instructor asked what the problem was and whether I
was scanning the CDI, at which point I said let's go back. I took off
the foogles and flew back visually, landed, and packed it in. On the
ground he asked what was wrong and I told him I was going to cancel
the checkride. He couldn't understand what went wrong as my flying
has been very consistent and good lately. Maybe it was the idea of
taking the checkride and possibly failing that has me distracted.
Maybe it's the idea of getting out there with the rating and flying by
myself. Oh well, I would probably stop altogether if I didn't care
about spending all the money with nothing to show.

David,

Don't get too worked up over this. Sometimes you just have a crappy
day. It happens to everyone. Maybe all you need to do now is take a
few days off (just enough to give your brain a rest but not so long that
your skills start to erode), then get back in the saddle.