Old July 26th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default The Last Airplane

On Jul 26, 8:03 am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

surely the best simplest 'last aeroplane' would be the open framework
Legal Eagle ultralight by Leonard Millholland.
it would have to be the most competent minimalist aircraft going.

Either of Leonard's designs would be the logical first-choice, his
welded fuselage being clearly superior with regard to strength vs
weight. Indeed, I have said as much -- many times -- when I was a
subscriber to the Legal Eagle Group. (*) But Leonard's design fails
the minimalist test by requiring not only a skilled weldor but a wide
range of tubing sizes. With the Chuck-Bird the only welding is
reduced to a couple of joints that could be done with an arc-welder
and a minimum of skill. By reducing the fuselage to a riveted, bolted
or even bonded structure, you've not only reduced the required skill-
level, you've opened up the range of accepted materials to such an
extent that virtually anyone should be able to lay hands upon suitable
'fuselage-stuff.' (As an experiment, I was able to fabricate a half-
scale fuselage structure using 3/8" square longerons and Kevlar roving
as the shear-web.)

-R.S.Hoover

PS -- (*) - Should you express an opinion that differs from that of
the moderator or principle users of a particular Group you will often
be 86'd or invited to take your opinions elsewhere. This form of Info
Nazism is quite common on the Internet since it is always done for the
'good of the Group,' etc. (In the case of the Legal Eagle, a couple
of the Groups 'leaders' pointed out that since I had not bought the
plans and was not building a Legal Eagle, my comments (which were
about engines) were seen as criticism of Leonard's efforts. They
weren't, but when someone makes it clear you are not welcome, the only
honorable thing to do is to drop out of the Group.)